Microcontrollers connect the world of software to the world of hardware. They allow developers to write software that interacts with the physical world in the same deterministic, cycle-accurate manner as digital logic.
They occupy the bottom left corner of the price/performance space, outselling more powerful computing devices. They are the workhorses that power the digital transformation of our world.
RP2040 is the debut microcontroller from Raspberry Pi. It brings our signature values of high performance, low cost, and ease of use to the microcontroller space. With a large on-chip memory, symmetric dual-core processor complex, deterministic bus fabric, and rich peripheral set augmented with our unique Programmable I/O (PIO) subsystem, RP2040 provides professional users with unrivalled power and flexibility. With detailed documentation, a polished MicroPython port, and a UF2 bootloader in ROM, it has the lowest possible barrier to entry for beginner and hobbyist users.
RP2040 is a stateless device, with support for cached execute-in-place from external QSPI memory. This design decision allows you to choose the appropriate density of non-volatile storage for your application, and to benefit from the low pricing of commodity Flash parts.
RP2040 is manufactured on a modern 40 nm process node, delivering high performance, low dynamic power consumption, and low leakage, with a variety of low-power modes to support extended-duration operation on battery power.
Whatever your microcontroller application — from machine learning to motor control, from agriculture to audio — RP2040 has the performance, feature set, and support to make your product fly.
2 RP2040 product brief Key features
- CPU: Dual ARM Cortex-M0+ @ 133 MHz
- Memory: 264kB on-chip SRAM in six independent banks
- Support for up to 16MB of off-chip Flash memory via dedicated QSPI bus
- Architecture: DMA controller
- Fully connected AHB crossbar
- Interpolator and integer divider peripherals
- On-chip programmable LDO to generate core voltage
- Two on-chip PLLs to generate USB and core clocks
- Interfacing: 30 GPIO pins, four of which can be used as analogue inputs
- Peripherals: 2 × UARTs
- 2 × SPI controllers
- 2 × I2C controllers
- 16 × PWM channels
- 1 × USB 1.1 controller and PHY, with host and device support
- 8 × PIO state machines
- Package: 7 × 7 mm QFN-56 package
- Compliance: RP2040 is compliant to Moisture Sensitivity Level 1.
- RP2040 is compliant to the requirement of REACH
- Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) that ECHA announced on 25 June 2020.